WRC acts as a one-stop-shop of small business information providing services that enhance women’s knowledge about different aspects of entrepreneurship and that help build skills to improve the success of their ventures. The Women’s Foundation of Colorado is a proud supporter of WRC’s small business services.
Small Business Consultations
Every first Monday of the month, WRC offers one-hour consultations with a representative from the Southwest Colorado Small Business Development Center at Fort Lewis College, for women who need advice on starting their own businesses. Appointments are for women who have a definite business idea and specific questions. Consultations are on a first-come, first-served basis, with preference given to WRC members. Pre-registration is required. Call 247-1242 for to make an appointment.
Business Plan Development
A business plan is essential before starting your business. It will help you focus on your product or service, your niche in the community, your competition, how to forecast expenses and revenues, and more. The Small Business Development Center at Fort Lewis College can help or you can access sample business plans at these links:
30-Minute Experts Mentoring Program
We could all use a little advice once in a while. So, let WRC pair you up with one of our “30-Minute Experts.” These are professional women in the community who have agreed to volunteer their time and expertise on a variety of business-related topics. Call 247-1242 and WRC will put you in contact with your mentor. Appointments are 30 minutes by phone, e-mail or in person, depending on the mentor’s availability. Following is the list of available topics:
- Advertising, Marketing and Promotion
- Financial Planning
- Income Tax Consultation
- Insurance Planning Job Search
- Life Coaching
- Writing Assistance (grant writing, resumes, cover letters, business plans, promotional copywriting)
- Colorado Small Business Development Center at FLC, 970-247-7009
- Region 9 Economic Development District, 970-247-9621
- U.S. Small Business Administration, 303-844-2607, ext. 223
- Count Me In for Women’s Economic Independence
Networking with Other Women Professionals
The Women’s Resource Center collaborates with other organizations in the community to support and promote networking opportunities for women professionals:
- Business Women’s Idea Exchange: This free networking event is held at noon on the second Friday of the month at the Thrive Chiropractic Center, 202 W. 22nd Street, in Durango. Contact Bethany Niccum at firstname.lastname@example.org.